South Georgia Regional Library: The mission of the South Georgia Regional Library is to ensure equal access to a wealth of information and to enrich the lives of the members of our diverse community.
OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE PHILOSOPHY
The customer service philosophy of the South Georgia Regional Library is to provide accurate, timely, and consistent service in a courteous and informed manner to all who interact with our organization.
HISTORY AND PROFILE
The South Georgia Regional Library System was founded in 1875 by the Library Association, a group of citizens dedicated to literacy. The Columbine Club, a local ladies group, purchased $40 worth of books, housing the small collection in a room at City Hall. Funded by only $15 a month from the Valdosta City Council, the library grew slowly to encompass 1500 volumes by 1903 and was staffed by volunteers. In 1913, the library received a grant from the Carnegie Foundation which allowed the city to build a new facility in Valdosta with a collection of 1720 volumes and 6 librarians on staff. The Valdosta-Lowndes County Library, the main library in the system, opened in 1968 and was expanded in 1995.
SOUTH GEORGIA REGIONAL LIBRARY ADMINISTRATION
January 1, 2015